What a weekend! This past weekend fans from all over the world attended San Diego Comic Con is multi-genre convention of which nerd from around the world pay attention to for biggest reveals from their favorite franchises and studios. For the past three years DuckTales fans have been treated to jaw-dropping reveals and news about our favorite Disney Ducks.
This year Producers Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones unveiled character designs for the show’s third season. As the images began showing up online for those of us unable to attend, we were speechless. Seriously, I couldn’t talk. I couldn’t lift my jaw off my desk. I was thankful for each and ever attended who were tweeting the info for the rest of us.
We’ve had a hard time keeping our feet on the ground all weekend. Our minds have been reeling as we consider the implications of the characters shared and what storylines may introduce them to the Duck-universe. Of course I compiled our SDCC2019 DuckTales panel recap to help fans more easily see the news, but I’ve struggled with how to write about all of the news. I considered writing blogs on each of the reveals, but at this point surely everyone is up to speed with the news…
This morning we received an email from one of our followers who mentioned that they did not watch the Disney Afternoon and they did not know every character revealed at the panel. That was when I decided we needed a blog… or a series of blogs. I don’t think I have the time to cover them all in one day. Let alone a recording day.
Anyway, I will be working off the amazing season 3 poster, and I will work from top-left to bottom-right. Let’s get started.
1. Zeus – Zeus was first introduced in DuckTales in the episode “The Spear of Selene!” In the episode we learn that Zeus has history with Scrooge McDuck. Zeus is a Greek god who lives on the island Ithaquack. He has supernatural powers, but he resents Scrooge because he believes Scrooge has hurt his image by upstaging him. It is interesting to see Zeus on this poster because he is sometimes regarded as a villain by DuckFans, but he is really just an antagonist and not a villain.
2. Gizmoduck / Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera – Fenton was first introduced in the episode “Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System. Gizmoduck was also introduced to viewers in this episode as the fulfillment of a dangling plot all the way back in the beginning of season one in “The Great Dime Chase!” when Gyro Gearloose first came up with the idea of the Gizmoduck suit. In the new show Fenton is Latino and works in Gyro Gearloose’s lab as an assistant.
In the 1987 show Fenton Crackshell was an accountant hired by Scrooge McDuck who through a serious of events ends up in possession of a super suit. He premiered in the television movie “Super DuckTales. Fenton’s stories often included his mother “M’ma Crackshell and his girlfriend Gandra Dee. Gizmoduck would also crossover into the show Darkwing Duck.
3. Officer M’ma Cabrera – In the new DuckTales M’ma Cabrera is a police officer in Duckburg Who first appeared in the episode “Who Is Gizmoduck?!” She is the mother of Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera. She loves her son and wants him to be a success, and she really loves her soap operas.
In the original DuckTales M’ma was mostly seen lounging around the Crackshell home in a bathrobe and curlers watching her favorite daytime soap operas.
4. Duckworth – McDuck Manor was attended to by Scrooge McDuck’s trusted butler, Duckworth… that is until. He died. We haven’t learned any details on how Duckworth passed from this world to the afterlife, but in “McMystery At McDuck McManor!” Blackheart Beagle accident summoned him as a spirit and he know helps Mrs. Beakley take care of the estate.
Duckworth was Scrooge McDuck’s trusted butler and chauffeur. His dry and witty humor could be counted on anytime he was in a scene.
5. Storkules – Donald’s best friend is a god. If you ask Donald he would pretend to not know what we are talking about, but Storkules considers Donald Duck his greatest ally. Storkules lives on Ithaquack with his father Zeus, but he has been known to visit Duckburg from time to time. His first appearance was in “The Spear of Selene!”
6. Manny – In the pilot episode of DuckTales the very first villains the family faced was a team-up that included the Headless Man-horse (kinda self explanatory). In that confrontation Scrooge McDuck provided the bizarre creature a new head from a statue… and then he gave him a job… seriously… that’s how we got Manny in “Woo-oo!”
7. Gene the Genie – Gene has not appeared in the new series. His first appearance was in DuckTales The Movie: Treasure Of The Lost Lamp. In the movie the family finds a lamp that is inhabited by a genie who can grant wishes.
8. Emily Quackfaster – McDuck Enterprises employs some of the craziest people in Duckburg. Quackfaster is a librarian and the archivist Of Scrooge McDuck’s family archives. She first appeared in “The Great Dime Chase!”
In the original DuckTales Quackfaster did not exist, but she did exist in the comics. In the 1987 show Scrooge McDuck’s secretary at his Money Bin was Mrs, Featherby Who is very similar to the comics’ Quackfaster.
9. Gladstone Gander – Uncle Gladstone first appeared in “The House Of Lucky Gander!” He is the cousin of Donald and Della Duck and Scrooge McDuck’s nephew. Gladstone has been blessed with an uncanny lucky streak that helps him meander through life without a care.
Gladstone Gander was created by legendary comic creator Carl Barks, and he did have two appearances in the original DuckTales.
10. Gandra Dee – Gandra Dee made her much anticipated appearance on DuckTales in the appropriately titled episode “The Dangerous Chemistry Of Gandra Dee!” In the episode Gandra was revealed to be an audacious scientist. She was revealed to be an associate of Mark Beaks who was attempting to destroy Gizmoduck, but when Fenton was in trouble she helped him before disappearing.
In the original DuckTales Gandra Dee was less a character and more a plot device. Gandra Dee was Fenton Crackshell’s love interest and it was their relationship that often times made Fenton’s superheroing career difficult.
11. Selene – Selene is the Greek goddess of the moon who lives on Ithaquack. She is friends with Della Duck and Della’s family. She made her first appearance on DuckTales in the episode “The Spear of Selene!” (Although a mural of her can be seen in Della’s secret wing of the McDuck Archive in “The Great Dime Chase!”).
12. Huey Duck – Huey Duck is the first hatched of Della Duck’s triplets. He was raised by his uncle, Donald Duck, and Scrooge McDuck is his great uncle. Huey is one of the main cast in DuckTales and his first appearance was in the pilot episode “Woo-oo!” Huey is known for being the most intellectual of the triplets. He can also be obsessive and he loves being a Junior Woodchuck.
Huey, Dewey, and Louie first appeared in the Donald Duck newspaper strip, have starred in many Donald Duck shorts, and rose to their greatest prominence in the 1980s in the original DuckTales television series.
13. Scrooge McDuck – Scrooge McDuck is the patriarch of Clan McDuck. He has lived an incredibly long life and amassed a sizable fortune. Scrooge is the uncle of Donald and Della Duck. After Della Duck was lost in a cosmic storm while piloting an experimental rocket that Scrooge has made for her he spent much of his fortune trying to find her. When she could not be found he secluded himself and stopped adventuring. In the pilot episode “Woo-oo! ” Scrooge was reunited with his family and they began adventuring together.
Scrooge McDuck was created in the 1940s by Carl Bark’s. He was one of Barks’ favorite creations and Barks wrote many crazy adventures for the richest duck in the world. Scrooge was a focal point in the 1987 DuckTales where his fortune was the focus of many of the plot lines. The show was about Scrooge and and his relationship with his family.
14. José Carioca – In “The Town Where Everyone Was Nice!” Donald Duck is reunited with his college bandmates The Three Caballeros! The three friends were reunited after many years, and each of them struggles with how the others will view them. In the end they realize the only thing that matters is their friendship and they defeat a pretty gnarly man-eating plant. José is a Brazilian parrot.
José first appeared in the 1942 movie Saludos Amigos. In the movie he was an international friend of Donald Duck. In 1944 José would return to the big screen for The Three Caballeros. José is loved in Brazil and his comic books are popular.
15. Panchito Pistoles – Panchito’s first appearance was also in “The Town Where Everyone Was Nice!” His story is similar to José’s except he continued his musical career and was a star at one point in the past. Panchito is a rooster who is from Mexico.
Panchito’s original appearance was in The Three Caballeros. During his scenes the trio sing the iconic song of the same name. José and Panchito are also well-known for the ride The Gran Fiesta Tour in Walt Disney World’s Epcot.
16. Louie Duck – Being one of the main cast for DuckTales, Louie’s first appearance was in the series premiere “Woo-oo!” He is known as being the cunning and lazy triplet. He is also the triplet most likely to express his emotions. Louie loves treasure and has been known to be a little reckless to get it.
17. Donald Duck – Donald Fauntleroy Duck appeared in the first scene of the series premiere titled “Woo-oo!” Donald is the uncle, and caretaker, of Huey, Dewey, and Louie. He has raised them since before they hatched. He grew up with his sister Della, and they adventured with their uncle, Scrooge McDuck. Donald was a capable adventurer, but he gave that up when his sister Della was lost in a cosmic storm. He blamed his uncle and moved the eggs into a houseboat in Duckburg. Donald worries about the well-being of his nephews and has been known to hover too close. Since reuniting with his uncle, Donald has been reluctant to adventure, but he understands the boys will be better off if they learn how to adventure from their (Great) Uncle Scrooge.
Donald Duck was created by Walt Disney and aspects of the character were built around the voice talent of Clarence Nash. Donald would go on to
become one of the most iconic cartoon characters of all time. His image has been found on just about every product known to man. Internationally, Donald Duck is one of the most popular comic book characters of all time.
I hope these blogs are helpful to new fans of the show, and maybe fun for those who are more familiar with the characters. Feel free to add to my descriptions in the comments below or on the social media posts connected with it. I will be working hard to complete the next part of the series so be watching for it.
Would you be covering the objects too like the flask and the two planes? I’m also curious what’s the deal with that watermelon. Thank you.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I will! Those items are on that poster for a reason. That watermelon has me stumped… but it immediately reminded me of the “Infinite Darkwing’s” storyline.
Good to know.
It would be interesting if that’s the meaning behind that fruit. But we can’t know for sure that this point. It could be for a short gag or secretly important. I do hope the answer would be intriguing and just as sweet. Thanks for the reply.
The watermelon is a callback to season 2’s final two-part episode when they find Donald by accident in a deserted island. Like in Tom Hank’s “Castaway” Donald is long-haireda nd bearded and has made an imaginary friend with a melon instead of the volleyball Wilson, and the joke is that the melon has two big round ears and talks like Mickey Mouse.
LikeLiked by 1 person